It's all work in progress, and still subject to active revision.

For my blog see : http://peterhousehold.blogspot.com/


Contact me : peterhousehold@gmail.com

Thursday, November 4, 2010

About these stories

It all started with Martha, who was 4 at the time but is 6 now. Sometimes I tell her well-known stories, in the car usually, and I've noticed that they improve on each telling, often due to her input. next I wrote them down. And the next thought was let's publish a book under the title “ten stories your child should know”. This title isn’t meant to imply that I have surveyed all the world’s stories and come up with a top ten. They just happen to my top ten, selected from amongst the stories I happen to know.

There will be a preface addressed to the adults, suggesting common themes between stories, or other points of interest.

My next big hurdle is to work out what age range I am writing for.

Stories I have in mind, some already written, some just a twinkle in my eye, are Adam and Eve, Prometheus, Oedipus, the Thousand and One Nights, Midas the King Has Asses Ears, King Lear, the Tower of Babel. I need at least one Irish story, and one Scandinavian.

What about China, Africa, America … ? I need to do some research do I not. Suggestions welcome. Would I find the right voice though? If not it wouldn't work.

The book, by the way, will never happen, but it’s fun to pretend.



No comments:

Post a Comment